Sunday, August 21, 2011

Vacationing 101

Vacationing with your kid is so different, (duh…) but vacationing with your partner’s family AND your kid is a THOUSAND times different. There are so many dynamics involved more than just personalities.

First, their history, they have all the stories. Remember when Uncle Joe fished that pair of underpants from the pond? They all laugh and you’re sitting there going, “Is there a nail salon nearby? What’s for dinner?” oh, yeah funniest story ever, please tell it again. OK so it’s not really that bad, but you feel on the sidelines occasionally even after 5 years of marriage and 4 years of vacationing with his family.

Secondly, they have their traditions. How am I supposed to know that Mondays are pancake breakfast, Tuesday is shopping day, Wednesday is beach day, Thursday is pool day, etc.. One night eat out, then we take turns making dinners, then the last night take out.

You all get the point. There is no way to know this ahead of time either. You have your own traditions, desire to create new ones, and your way of doing things, until you get together with 5 other adults and a very opinionated 4 year old. How does one adjust to this? Roll with the punches, I guess. I say I guess since I have NO.FLUCKIN.CLUE. I tried to do my own thing, while being available, but I am completely unable to be this flexible no matter how hard I try.

This year I will practice more yoga to be more flexible for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment