Wednesday, August 31, 2011

He's learning body part names

Brooks' friend Gabe has known where eyes, nose, mouths and ears are for months, he can show you on himself and you. I've been trying to teach Brooks these sames words for a while now and he hasn't gotten them down. I point to my nose and say "nose" and he open hand punches my nose, it has really put a damper on my desire to further this part of his education. But I am happy to report that the other night we discovered he has learned a body part name and will point to it when you say the word...his penis.

We always said we weren't going to make up names for genitalia before we had a baby. So the first time Brooks touched his penis we said, "that's your penis" just like we say "that's your nose" or "stop poking me in the eye". A few weeks ago, like many guys, he started making sure it was there during bath time. When he would do that, in a funny voice we would say penis, this voice made him smile, then laugh and then it became a game.

I am very proud of my son for learning the proper nomenclature for his appendages, or at least this one. I am more than grateful though that he hasn't figured out he can get to it while clothed, hopefully he won't read that here and get any ideas. Back to working on vocabulary, maybe tomorrow we'll work on something he can do in public.

1 comment:

  1. We have done the same thing with our daughter. She went through a phase where she would ask if a kid/adult/animal was a boy or a girl. After we answered her, she'd say "does he have a penis?". Now we are always on guard if she says things like "Is grand-daddy a boy" while around my parents...

    ReplyDelete