Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Day in the Life

I read Dear Baby, daily. In fact I have been known to check my reader a couple times a day to see if there are any new posts. Especially with the recent arrival of her newest little one. Since she has been on maternity leave she has had a guest blogger a day write a "Day In the Life Of...." post. I'm totally stealing her idea, it's not stealing if I give credit and lots of praise, right?

Just an average day....I get up around 6:30, roll over and stare at them for a bit and count my blessings, shower and dress, make coffee and oatmeal. Miss K arrives around 7:30, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later. She and I "talk" while I eat and drink coffee. Brooks and John come down around 8, the boys eat, followed by play time. Around 9, Miss K eats, this is where it gets tricky. We have story and song time until it's time for naps, this could be in 30 or 90 minutes. Babies nap for an hour or two (if I'm lucky they over lap).

Wake up and they are ravenous, so we nosh, well they nosh, OK I lie, we all nosh. Husband rushes in the door to watch the babes so I can get all dolled up for my national TV interview. OK, so maybe it's not a daily occurrence, but it happened this past Tuesday.

What feels like forever ago, I started donating my extra breast milk to a mom (and now friend) that I met at our breast feeding support group. ABC, found out about us and sent a camera crew, a producer and reporter to Rachael's house. When Rachael approached me about this I thought at first she was joking. I mean I'm an attention whore and this would have been a great practical joke. She had been at my house the night before and hadn't said anything about it. I wrote her back and said I was on board, but didn't get too excited. Then the flurry of emails started between Rachael, myself and the other donors. OMG this was happening.

A few things ran through my head, first, what am I going to wear? Second, don't sound stupid, rehearse probable questions to make sure answers are concise, grammar is correct and you don't throw out large words improperly. Thirdly, this story isn't about you, it's about the message, make that a top priority. Fourth, what is Brooks going to wear?

All in all it was a great time. A very memorable experience and from the bottom of my heart I hope that this opens doors for a lot of people. I hope to never hear again of someone throwing out breast milk because it was too old, or they didn't need it anymore. And my eye makeup was fabulous, like I really should have taken a closeup and done a tutorial because it rocked!

Yeah that's Juju Chang, reporter extraordinaire, mom of three and my new BFF (OK not really, but she was really nice). I don't know how much screen time I'll get, if any. This was the day Brooks popped his teeth and he was squirmy, fussy and just not having too much of sitting still. I'll post as soon as I know when (and if) it's going to broadcast. I really hope it does so I can put the DVD in Brooks' memory book. Just another experience that would never have occurred if it hadn't been for Brooks. I guess I'll have to thank him one day, I'll try and remember to do that when he's a surly 15 year old.

And one more gratuitous shot, just to show that we didn't just run into her in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment